As a fair-skinned sunshine lover, I have had my fair share of sunburns. Actually, I would say I’ve had an unfair share of sunburns, but as they are completely preventable by staying inside, “unfair” doesn’t seem like the right word. But, I love the sunshine and I will not stay inside.
Today I played outside with the kids for about 4 hours. I had to. It was for work. 🙂 So I am sufficiently sunburned. There really isn’t anything that will magically cure a sunburn except time. But there are a few things that I have learned over the years. So tonight I am doing the following:
1. Take a shower ASAP. Sunburns hurt more in a few hours, and then showers hurt. Do it now.
2. Mix a dollop of aloe and a dollop of heavy lotion, such as body butter, in the palms of your hands to put on the burn. Do this 3-5 times a day or more, for a few days. Hydrated skin heals faster.
3. Leave the burned area open to the air, not covered under clothes or blankets. (For me, this takes some arranging because I like to sleep bundled up in the blankets. But I’ve found that I can handle having my arms and legs uncovered if I can cover my ears with the blanket. Weird, right?)
4. Drink lots of water. Hydrated skin heals faster.
5. Try to ignore it and go about your business.
Sunshine and warm weather is addictive! I can’t wait for time to lay by the pool!